Like many good ideas, KITEAID was founded in 2008 out of necessity and passion. Upon returning from a vacation where valuable kiting time was lost due to a damaged kite, we began looking into various options to ensure this situation would never happen again. After extensive research, we were surprised to find that there were no products on the market that catered to quick, high quality repairs while traveling. Based on our technical backgrounds, we embarked on a rigorous research & development cycle to produce the ultimate solution. Here are the criteria we applied to our development (straight out of our notebooks):
- Minimize Downtime – If a kite is damaged while on a 3-day vacation, I do not want to miss a day of kiting. I want to be back flying again in less than an hour.
- Permanent – Once a kite is repaired, I do not want to have to deal with it again. The solution needs to be peel resistant and strong.
- Easy-To-Use – I want to be kiting, not dealing with a tedious process.
- Translucent – I do not want the repair to affect the look of my kite.
- Environmentally Independent – The same repair has to work on my foil kite at -20°C as it does on my inflatable kite at 45°C.
- Weather Resistant – Kites are in the sun and salt water all the time, so the repair needs to stand up to the elements.
- Viable For Kite Schools – If a kite school can reduce the downtime of damaged kites, they can teach more people the wonders of this amazing sport.
After 16 months of R&D, we finally succeeded in creating the solutions that fit our requirements. We put the product to the test, and it passed with flying colours. It worked so well for us, that we decided to share our creation with the world of kiters. We’ve been busy keeping up with demand ever since.
We sincerely hope you never have to endure kite damage when the wind is blowing. If you do, we’ve got you covered.
Will and Stephan,
(Founders of KITEAID)
Stephan Krajicek - Product development and co-owner at KITEAID - Montreal, Canada
Will Stevens - Operations and co-owner at KITEAID - Montreal, Canada
Jason Blanchard - Pro-rider and Canadian Kiteboarding national team rider - Sept Iles, Canada
Kieran McConnell - Product tester and passionate kiteboarder - Vancouver, Canada
Thierry "The White" - Product tester and owner at kiteproject.ca - Montreal, Canada
Dimitri Maramenidis - Product tester and owner at Epic Kites - Cape Hatteras, USA